- Eat a diet of soft, non-chewy foods for the next 2 weeks.
- Do not chew gum for 2 weeks.
- Use a cold compress on the sore area of the jaw to help reduce inflammation – keep the cold compress on for 20 minutes and then remove for 20 minutes; repeat.
- If the muscles are still sore, you can also use a warm compress on the sore jaw area to help relax them – keep the warm compress on for 20 minutes and then remove for 20 minutes; repeat.
- Do not open your mouth wide and stabilize your jaw when yawning.
- Take 800mg Ibuprofen four times a day with food to help reduce inflammation if needed for pain — Do not do this for more than one week.
- Follow the golden rule “If it hurts don’t do it!”.
- Call our office if you have any questions or concerns.
Schedule an Appointment Today
To schedule your appointment with one of our Grand Rapids, MI, family dentists, call Contemporary Family Dental at (616) 209-3969, or contact us online.