How and When to Wear
- Invisalign ONLY works when you are wearing them. We recommend you wear your aligners 20-22 hours, day and night. The only time the aligners should be taken out is when you are eating and drinking something other than water, brushing and flossing, or cleaning them.
- Wear each aligner for a minimum of one to two weeks, as directed by your doctor. It is very important that you never go to the next aligner in less than the directed amount of time. Even though it may seem that the current aligner is loose and no longer moving your teeth, it takes longer for the roots to catch up with the crown of the tooth.
- If you miss some days for any reason, pick up where you left off and wear the aligners for the full 7 day minimum. Call the office to let us know so that we can adjust your appointments.
Insertion and Removal
- Make sure you have the proper aligner. “U” for upper and “L” for lower in the proper number sequence. Each aligner is labeled with either a “U” or “L”.
- When inserting, gently push the aligners over your front teeth. Then, apply pressure to the tops of the left and right molars until they snap into place. DO NOT bite your aligners into place.
- Make sure each aligner is ALL THE WAY DOWN and fully seated. You should not see any space between the edge of the tooth and the edge of the aligner.
If the aligner is not fully in place, the teeth will not move properly and the next aligner will be even further off. This can waste many weeks of treatment and even cause starting over with possible additional fees.
- To remove the aligners, pull off equally on both sides of the back teeth first, and then gently lift off the front teeth. Always rinse the aligners in cold water and store in the proper container. To prevent damage, avoid unnecessary removal. Do NOT use sharp objects to remove your aligners.
- Always place the aligners in the cases provided. Never place aligners in napkins or any other case. Never place it in a pocket that can be sat on.
- Save the last aligner you used in your case in case something happens to your current aligners.
- If you lose an aligner, call your doctor right away.
- There may be a charge for damage or lost aligners.
Care of Aligners
- Clean your aligners prior to each insertion. You can use a normal toothbrush or electric toothbrush. Rinse under running water and brush until clean.
- Never use or soak in alcohol or bleach, as they will be damaged. If aligners are becoming excessively dirty let your doctor know at your appointments.
- Do not place aligners in hot water to clean, as they will be damaged.
- You may purchase Fresh Guard to soak aligners in to help with the cleaning.
- Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss normally with the aligners out. Brush and floss after eating and before re-inserting aligners. Large food particles may prevent proper insertion. At night it is recommended to use prescription strength Clinpro toothpaste to decrease the risk of cavities. Ask your doctor for Clinpro at your appointment.
- Eating: There are no food restrictions with Invisalign, however aligners must always be removed when eating.
- Drinking: except for cold or room temperature water, always remove aligners while drinking anything. Any fluid will get inside the aligner and be held against your teeth possibly for hours and can cause staining or damage your teeth and aligners.
- Chewing Gum: Do NOT chew gum while wearing aligners.
- Smoking: It is advised NOT to smoke while wearing the aligners. It will stain the aligners and your teeth.
If you have any trouble with your treatment, please call our office.